or is it just my sour grapes
I know it costs $$s when you have a baby, but what is the bonus now $4K or $5K?
I'd like to see some caveats on that:
1. The child's father MUST be named on the birth certificate.
2. The mother should prove she was in a de facto or marriage relationship.
3. The money is given on a card and this card can ONLY be used at selected stores
(ie baby good stores, supermarkets or grocery stores)
My thinking behind this is:
* No Dad, no $$s. A lot of DNA costs from Dad's would be saved, because Mum would want the money.
* In this day and age of effective birth control, their is no place for unplanned pregnancy. If you are getting yourself pregnant, it is a deliberate act and not something the government should be subsidising if you plan on being a single mum. The ongoing burden on the social security system extends way beyond the initial $$s.
* I know there is no guarantee that the money will be properly spent, but it helps.
So, let me know - am I a fuddy duddy or am I on to something here?
Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas.