Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Research term / Family court meaning

RESEARCH VOCABULARY

Fairgo - I think they have gone way too far. Even if Mcintoshes study and her conclusions are taken on face value to be correct. There is no research that shows Australian infants/toddlers in lesser then one night per week (many parents share over nights on a fortnightly basis) arrangements are or will suffer attachment related issues.

By AAIMH own admission their guidelines are aimed at ALL separated parents and those that work with them, not just high conflict cases or parents going through court. The guidelines could easily be misinterpreted (even deliberately so) by parents, lawyers, mediators, judicial officers ect.   
Fairgo and Frenzy,

Really interesting dialogue.

I have posted a new thread called, The Attachment Theory and 'Maternal Deprivation' - Sexism and Guidelines for Infants and Overnight Care.

I do not know if you are already aware that much of the research on Romanian orphans is by Professor Sir Michael Rutter, author of 'Maternal Deprivation Reassessed'.

He is also concerned about the value of observing so-called attachment behaviour and the gist of his paper from 2009 called 'Emanuel Miller Lecture: Attachment insecurity, disinhibited attachment, and attachment disorders: where do research findings leave the concepts?' was that it is 'seriously misleading to view all of these patterns through the lens of security/insecurity'.

Professor Sir Michael Rutter was also kind enough to describe my work 'even Toddlers Need Fathers', a critique of the principle of maternal deprivation, as an 'interesting and informative guide'.

kip

Kingsley Miller is the author of 'even Toddlers Need Fathers', a critique of the principle of 'Maternal Deprivation' as applied in family courts, which Professor Sir Michael Rutter described as an, 'interesting and informative guide'. He has also received a letter from Buckingham Palace stating, 'It was thoughtful of you to enclose a copy of your book 'even Toddlers Need Fathers' and Her Majesty has noted your concerns'.
Kip said
I do not know if you are already aware that much of the research on Romanian orphans is by Professor Sir Michael Rutter, author of 'Maternal Deprivation Reassessed'.
It may have been his studies I was reading. The studies on orphans I read showed that the % that develop into healthy teens is pretty much the same % as typical western raised infants. From reading up on the criticisms and counter examples of the theory (done by qualified people lol) it's very apparent that the whole theory is not an exact science like April is trying to imply.
Frenzy,

Professor Sir Michael Rutter always makes the point that child development is not an 'exact science'.

kip

Kingsley Miller is the author of 'even Toddlers Need Fathers', a critique of the principle of 'Maternal Deprivation' as applied in family courts, which Professor Sir Michael Rutter described as an, 'interesting and informative guide'. He has also received a letter from Buckingham Palace stating, 'It was thoughtful of you to enclose a copy of your book 'even Toddlers Need Fathers' and Her Majesty has noted your concerns'.
As a mother, I'd have to say evenings & night times with my babies/toddlers provided some unique bonding moments that didn't happen through the day, like when bathing them, laying in bed with them, tending to them through the night ect ect. I believe these things were critical in cementing my relationship with my babies (especially my Autistic son) and in helping developing trust.There is alot of evidence regarding the postive benefits of these types of experiences for both parents and their infants/toddlers.

I really can't see how AAMIH can advocate that 3 short daytime visits until at least 2 years of age (2 yo for non conflict situations, 3 years for high conflict cases) could really make up for a father and bub (once non breastfeed) totally missing out on having these experience together as well.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets