Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Convincing the 'Australian System' - Jen McIntosh vs the likes of Warren Farrell?

I joined this Forum to learn what other father's in similar situations are doing to prevent this injustice to our children. I read with interest the article posted previously about the work of Dr Warren Farrell and watched the 'powerful video'

Thanks Mike, I found that pretty much straight away, but I was just curious as the format was a Word doc that Monaro posted. I am currently doing a bit of research and there seems to be lots of discrepancies. Interesting. I'll report back on what I find if you're interested.
Glad to be of help Aphrodite.

Re-reading your previous post, you mention that Warren's site mentions little. The second two I posted are from Warren's sites and as such I would think, would be endorsed by him as being correct.
DACC said in a earlier post  
DACC said
'political scientist'- a degree you can 'literally buy' in USA.
  I don't mean to set out to discredit Dr Warren Farrell, but almost all the material quoted by previous posters is 'from his website' and thus should be viewed with some healthy skepticism. When you are attempting to 'sell yourself' you are hardly likely to write about anything but the positives.

I am particularly interested in the extract in that BIO: "Dr. Warren Farrell's meta-analyses on what works best for children of divorce is peer-reviewed in his most recent book, published in 2008 by Oxford University Press. Oxford University Press, along with Harvard University Press, is known for subjecting its books to the most extensive peer-reviews."

I really don't see how that kind of statement will stand up to scrutiny from any well respected Australian scientist. Particularly if it originates from his own website.

I also hardly think drawing attention to your appearances on "Oprah, the Today Show, Larry King, Peter Jennings and Barbara Walters" or by association with "Cosmopoliton, Ms, Working Mother and Men's Health" will do anything for his image as a scientist, but it will do everything to promote his book sales in the same vein as popular fiction.

Why hasn't Dr Farrell published the findings of his "meta-analyses" for review in a psychology or medicine journal for proper peer review? This is the appropriate forum for getting 'the best interests of children' heard.

? - Anyone?
DACC I'm working on it.
Did you read where he says that "in 2007, the Vermont Psychological Association sponsored an all-day training of its psychologists. Dr. Farrell was their only trainer."?
This was from another site not related to Farrell,

"they learned the popular author was the featured speaker at recent gathering of the Vermont Psychological Association. "

A speaker is not a trainer. Huge difference in my opinion.

A cursory look has revealed that there is no "2000 Outstanding Scholars of the 20th Century" issued by the International Biographic Centre of London.

There is lots more including a copy of his interview in Penthouse in 1977 extolling the positive aspects to Incest.
I would focus a little less on Warren Farrel and more on Dr Tom Altobelli, someone who hears both sides of the story and independant analysis from family consultants…Michael Green and Jill Burrett (forgive spelling). They have all written excellent papers that cast serious shadows on Dr Jen Mc's work.

I would be more interested in really well done research by an undergrad than someone well qualified drawing very broad conclusions from very flimsy material.

Also, I would be more impressed if Dr Jen were a sociologist rather than a psych. Psych focus on the individual whereas a sociologist is interested in societal trends and how they affect the individual.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
Aphrodite said
 I was just curious as the format was a Word doc that Monaro posted.
There was around a dozen documents sent to me by email from Dr Farrells associate, this was one of them.

i can see too much emphasis on trying to discredit the man, instead of praising him for his outstanding work!!

DACC said
Why hasn't Dr Farrell published the findings of his "meta-analyses" for review in a psychology or medicine journal for proper peer review?
. DACC, i have the meta-analysis, joint vs sole custody arrangements - quite in depth showing the importance and benifits that shared parenting brings, i have to appologise it is copywrite and i cannot post it.

monaro said
There was around a dozen documents sent to me by email from Dr Farrells associate, this was one of them. i can see too much emphasis on trying to discredit the man, instead of praising him for his outstanding work!!
DACC said
Why hasn't Dr Farrell published the findings of his "meta-analyses" for review in a psychology or medicine journal for proper peer review?
. DACC, i have the meta-analysis, joint vs sole custody arrangements - quite in depth showing the importance and benifits that shared parenting brings, i have to appologise it is copywrite and i cannot post it.
I'm not necessarily seeking to destroy a persons credibility but if you are going to attach weight to a persons apparently learned opinion then it needs to come under some scrutiny. Warren Farrell is involving himself in people's lives at a most vulnerable time and with that comes a certain responsibility. I think he should at least have the basic formal qualifications instead of just an opinion without basis. I don't necesarily believe anything that is posted on the internet and from what I have found so far, Warren Farrell does not deserve the accolades he so generously touts on the net. I like to look into credentials, and it seems that Warren Farrelll likes to distort the truth. I don't get that. Why, if you are what you say you are, is it necessary to exaggerate, distort and even lie?
monaro said
 DACC, i have the meta-analysis, joint vs sole custody arrangements - quite in depth showing the importance and benifits that shared parenting brings, i have to appologise it is copywrite and i cannot post it.

Monaro, can you let Monty see it please. We can then run it past the legal eagles to examine the copyright status and how much can be published 'as fair and reasonable'.

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (look for the Avatars) Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
DACC, i have the meta-analysis, joint vs sole custody arrangements - quite in depth showing the importance and benifits that shared parenting brings, i have to appologise it is copywrite and i cannot post it.
Yeah, I have to agree with Aphrodite, I can understand the need for reward for effort, but suggesting that the only way to share in important findings of research (his analysis of meta-analyses) is through buying his books is not the way scientists should behave.  Even if his work is copyrighted- *someone* must have the right to check or measure what he asserts are items of fact. Therefore, I would expect at least one essay or paper examining his findings. Alas there does not appear to be one.

I'm going to drop this guy from my list- even though I think he does have some very fine ideas- because without the transparency required by 'sharing' results in a public arena, there can be no trust in his views. I'm sticking with Dr Tom for my retort to Ms Jen.

Convincing the 'Australian System' - Jen McIntosh vs the likes of Warren Farrell?

All,

A good thing about a forum such as the Family Law WEB Guide is that it allows readers to keep track of what has gone on beforehand.

Previous posts act as reference points so that we can steer our way forward.

One such thread is from June 2008 in which the author bemoans the publicity given to Jenn McIntosh.
DACC said
This thread highlights the significance of the recent contribution of the respected child psychologist Michael Lamb to the debate.

This is what he said about Dr McIntosh as guest editor for a Special Issue of Family Court Review;

The Family Court Review Special Issue edited by McIntosh provided a misleadingly narrow view of attachment theory and of previous attempts to explore the implications of that theory and related research for family court professionals. For example, the editor chose to interview professionals whose opinions seemed likely to accord with hers, and when they dissented, she failed to explore the implications. She thus represented Bowlbys notion of monotropy as though it was an established and accepted fact; neither the research (which shows the idea to be incorrect) nor Bowlbys own later disavowal of the idea were addressed, although the implications are profound. More generally, the extensive relevant scholarship was ignored and unrepresented, leaving the unchallenged focus on the editors own research and on opinions that accord with her own. As a result, the Special Issue became a platform for opinion, rather than a forum for critical examination of the literature.

Michael E. Lamb, professor and head of the Department of Social and Developmental Psychology at the University of Cambridge, specializes in the study of social and emotional development, and the determinants and consequences of adaptive and maladaptive parental behaviour. He was also the head of the section on social and emotional development of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development in Washington DC for seventeen years. He is the author of numerous books and academic articles, including The Role of the Father in Child Development, which is now in its fifth edition (Wiley, 2010).

I hope DCAA approves!

Many thanks,

kip

PS LINK to present day thread;

http://flwg.com.au/forum/pg/topicview/misc/7999

Last edit: by Kip

Kingsley Miller is the author of 'even Toddlers Need Fathers', a critique of the principle of 'Maternal Deprivation' as applied in family courts, which Professor Sir Michael Rutter described as an, 'interesting and informative guide'. He has also received a letter from Buckingham Palace stating, 'It was thoughtful of you to enclose a copy of your book 'even Toddlers Need Fathers' and Her Majesty has noted your concerns'.
Aphrodite said
A speaker is not a trainer. Huge difference in my opinion.
Is this a generic statement or something you believe relates to their profession only?

If it's a generic statement, you're wrong.  I'm a qualified trainer and also speak at events in Australia, U.S. and Europe.  The two are not as different as you think.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets