Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

FEDERAL ELECTION 2007

Federal Election 2007, lobby, candidates, Information Kit, visit

The editor on this site is not very good.  I have reformatted this message three times already, and each time it makes unwanted changes. So see my message without paragraphs (sigh) and see the attachment, hopefully with formatting retained. Cheers, Geoff Hi everyone,  The latest opinion polls put the Liberal Coalition closer to the Labor Party.  The closer the election is, the better it is for us. I invite everybody to begin lobbying for the Federal Election.  One of the first things we can do is to find out who the local candidates are in our area and ask them whether they support a Presumption of Equal Parenting Time.  There are no official candidates yet.  Candidates can only nominate after the election has been called (and the Govenor General issues the writ).  However, we can target the unofficial and likely candidates. Also, everybody - make sure your voter registration details are up-to-date !  To update them, you can download the form from <span%20style= Remember - we only need to demonstrate that we can shift the voting 3% and the leading parties will take notice of us.  Reform of Family Law is an important issue to many Australians whose natural rights as parents, grandparents etc have been abused by the existing Family Law Act and interpretation of the Act. We should have an Information Kit ready in a few weeks which people can send to candidates before they make up their mind (many will not have strong views yet, nor have made up their mind).  Think about making an appointment to see your local candidates.  Meeting people face to face is an excellent way for them to see we are normal reasonable people - not raving psychopaths…. Send your forms into the Equal Parenting Movement, equalparenting@optusnet.com.au  (with the subject heading "ELECTIONS"  Also post it on this site to encourage others to do the same in their own area.  Site moderator - can we have a topic area for the upcoming Federal Elections please ?

To find out who the independents are in your local area, contact the political reporter at your local newspaper.  Below I have begun to fill out details for my own seat of Leichhardt, Far North Queensland (much more work to go).  (We have one candidate at least who explicitly supports a Presumption of Equal Parenting Time).  Below that is a blank form for you to use. Presumption of Equal Parenting Time now !

Cheers, Geoff Holland   FEDERAL ELECTION 2007  -  CANDIDATES   Name of Federal Seat:  Leichhardt Location (city/town, state): Cairns/FNQ, Qld   Current Federal member (name, party, e-mail address):  Warren Entsch Liberal Party (retiring) Supports PEPT ?:   Current Federal Senator (name, party, email address): Jan McLucas Shadow Minister for Ageing, Disabilities and Carers, Labor Party, senator.mclucas@aph.gov.au  Parliament House:  Tel:  (02) 6277 3680  Fax:  (02) 6277 5721  Electorate Office: MacDonnells Solicitors Building, Cnr Shields and Grafton Streets, Cairns, QLD, 4870  Toll Free:  1300 301 959  Tel:  (07) 4031 6009 Fax:  (07) 4031 6167 Supports PEPT ?: undeclared but unlikely   Liberal candidate Lower House (name, email address):  Charlie McKillop (woman), tel 4051 2220, AAMI Bldg, 140 Mulgrave Rd, Cairns,  charlie@charliemckillop.com.au  fax 4031 1592  Supports PEPT ?:   don't know   Liberal candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Labor candidate Lower House (name, email address):  Jim Turnour  jim@jimturnour.com.au  Tel:  07 4038 3636  Mobile:  0419 748 667  Postal Address:  PO Box 5621, Cairns QLD 4870  Web:  http://www.jimturnour.com.au   Supports PEPT ?:   don't know yet   Liberal candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:     Nationals candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Nationals candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Greens candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Greens candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Democrats candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Democrats candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Family First candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Family First candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Non-Custodial Party candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Non-Custodial Party candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Independent 1.  candidate Lower House (name, email address):  Selwyn Johnston Supports PEPT ?:  YES   Independent 2. candidate Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Other candidate Lower House   (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Other candidate  Senate   (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:    _______________________________________________________________   FEDERAL ELECTION 2007  -  CANDIDATES Name of Federal Seat: Location (city/town, state):   Current Federal member (name, party, e-mail address): Supports PEPT ?:   Current Federal Senator (name, party, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Liberal candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Liberal candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Labor candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Liberal candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:     Nationals candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Nationals candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Greens candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Greens candidate for the Senate (name, email address):   Democrats candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Democrats candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Family First candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Family First candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Non-Custodial Party candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Non-Custodial Party candidate for the Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Independent 1.  candidate Lower House (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Independent 2. candidate Senate (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Other candidate Lower House   (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:   Other candidate  Senate   (name, email address): Supports PEPT ?:     " rel="nofollow">http://www.aec.gov.au/_content/what/enrolment/forms.htm#enrolment_forms

Attachment
Federal Election

Coordinator, Equal Parenting Movement

Co-director, Fathers4Equality

What editor did you use to create the text in the first place Geoff? Was it cut / psted from an HTML derived source? I have heard that a site upgrade is due this week that will substaintially improve the WYSIWYG editor to accomodate pasted text from other applications which embed a range of their own formatting characters.

One of the site admins will likely fix this anyway as they sweep through the forums from time to time

Executive Secretary - Shared Parenting Council of Australia
 Was my post helpful? If so, please let others know about the FamilyLawWebGuide whenever you see the opportunity

Please email me this article Geoff. I will re paste it and check the formatting as we have replaced all the WYSIWYG system and it should paste okay now. (See new site software released)

Site Director

Politics - an insiders view

First of all Family Law is not an election issue this year; the big one is AWA's, closely followed by interest rates and housing affability. Other issues are at play but are not as important - yes, that includes the green vote.

My worry is this: If (OK when) the Libs loose, what is going to be the attitude of the Labor Party. The Labor Party relies on the female vote, where as the Libs are seen as the grey hair vote (all of us after court!) When I worked in a federal MP's office most of the correspondence was from single fathers. Many of the letters were poorly written, some what nebulous and vexatious in nature. This did not impress the MP who did not have kind words to say about single fathers.

Local newspapers are a good way to attract the attention of your local MP. These papers are closely monitored by office staff, especially the letters page.

Get writing!

Last edit: by monteverdi

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on the site (Look for the Avatars).   Be mindful what you post in the public areas. 
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets