Warning: file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 116 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in /home/flfl1154/git/flwg.com.au/sources/global.php on line 625

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/flfl1154/git/flwg.com.au/sources/global.php:625) in /home/flfl1154/git/flwg.com.au/sources/static_cache.php on line 230
View topic: Playing Chess – Family Law Web Guide
Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Playing Chess

The benefits to mental health

Benjamin Franklin (1779) said
The game of Chess is not merely an idle amusement. Several very valuable qualities of the mind, useful in the course of human life, are to be acquired or strengthened by it, so as to become habits, ready on all occasions.
I have found a way to keep my mind healthy while facing the difficult issues surrounding negotiations about spending time with my little baby boy. It's playing Chess.

I registered an account on chess.com, playing it on-line with random people from all over the world.I spend an hour or so a day developing strategies of the game and it teaches me valuable life lessons.

I believe it can seriously train and reframe our minds in dealing with the task of negotiation in any life circumstance, particularly for me it is dealing with a difficult ex in relation to our child.

I've felt it's helped me immensely in how I deal with these situations. I've seen a dramatic improvement in my patience,and therefore an improving relationship with the ex.

One of the things that makes chess particularly effective as a way to keep our brains in shape is that the game has a built in system of reward and punishment.

Attention is a critical component of learning, especially if we want that learning to endure over the long term. Chess gives you an instant feedback mechanism that can quickly punish any lack of attention. Let your mind wander for even one move and you may lose an important piece or find yourself summarily checkmated.

What is more, each game may convey rewards of it's own, not necessarily the thrill of victory, but smaller rewards that can occur throughout the game.

I encourage everyone to give it a go.

www.chess.com
As a fellow life long chess player, I can totally relate to this topic. I have already referred to my Family Law Court battle as a chess match.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets