Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Men don't delegate their health to Women !

Time to hit this idea on the head

Happy to see the progress on men's health.  Thanks to people working on it.

However, it doesn't take long for someone to say something like MP Belinda Neal did today - i.e. men tend to delegate their health to their female partners or even female workmates. Really?!  She even suggests men are often socially isolated (or does she mean socially inadequate and not able to talk with a doctor?).

When people who are trying to help say things like this, it shows how far we have to go.

I would like to encourage everyone to make a strong reaction when any person suggests this stereotye.  What about all those Men who are divorced, gay, single, widowed, carers for their sick wives, or even (gasp!) able to be responsible for themselves?

The following example might help others understand the problem:

The Health situation for men is similar to the situation women once faced with banks. Banks wouldn't deal with women directly, and they had to go in with their husbands or fathers and get joint loans. But now Health services, politicians and media are using a similar prejudiced stereotype to avoid taking direct responsibility for meeting men's health needs - either in communication or services.

Women shouldn't to be thought of as intermediaries in men's health. This is a cop out.
I agree with the sentiments Livy.

I think the reason there are some big problems in men's health are along the lines of Billy Connolly

"the older I get, the less interest my doctor has in my front".

This can put a lot of men off regular health checks and it's a societal conditioning that men should not be "touched" in certain ways.

I think this is gradually fading out, along with other male stereotypes thank goodness.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 

What is up doc?

I wonder how many men actualy feel that hospitals and health centres are not the place for them. I must admit to a reluctence to going anywhere near anything medical. They just seem so…well..unwelcoming.

Also, there is the feeling that when you go to the medical centre, you are intruding in a child/female focused world. Strange I know, but it is there.

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on the site (Look for the Avatars).   Be mindful what you post in the public areas. 
Agree with livy.

Observing discrimination and demeaning comments takes some skill - particularly when one group has dominated that space for decades. Its even a bigger ask to get people to understand and recognize the concepts. They usually go:

1) It does not affect me

2) Well some of it is true

3) Well other groups are put down too you know - even worse

4) Why are you getting so upset about it?

5) Oh get over it -can't you talk about anything else?

I have no stats for this but I think is possible that the large majority of the population lack the conceptual frameworks or interest to even begin to understand the issue.

Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets