Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Topic #2206 (no title)

monster said
I was told by our lawyer that Our case had been set a case date and that they only new because the they did a case search on the new family law portal where lawyers Have the options of managing their own cases and case documents. Sorry I couldn't find the post about the portal to attach it to.

The lawyer said that our case got a date and we hadn't been informed because the court forgot!!!! She said that they are making it standards practice to do a case search on all cases regularly because the court had forgotten to tell her the hearing dates for one of her other cases.

I just see it as another reason why SRLS should be petitioning to have this access for their own cases.

I quite agree, the court is not a mistake free zone, in fact total confusion is the normal practice. Mind you I did have a FM's associate call me and ask if I needed more time to settle a matter out of court. They vacated the hearing date to another day. Such a nice person.:thumbs:

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on the site (Look for the Avatars).   Be mindful what you post in the public areas. 
monster said
I was told by our lawyer that Our case had been set a case date and that they only new because the they did a case search on the new family law portal where lawyers Have the options of manging thier own cases and case documents. Sorry I couldnt find the post about the portal to attach it to.

The lawyer said that our case got a date and we hadnt been informed because the court forgot!!!! She said that they are making it standardss partice to do a case search on all cases regulary becasue the court had forgotton to tell her the hearing dates for one of her other cases.

I just see it as another reason why SRLS should be petitioning to have this access for their own cases.

Sounds like Lawyer bull dust. It is the obligation of the parties or their representatives to check. Another more important reason to check regularly is that the other party may have lodged documents or subpoenas that you are not aware of.

https://filesearch.familylawcourts.gov.au/cws/index.jsp

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (look for the Avatars) Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
So before the portal how did the lawyers and srls find out the case dates? Also in your documentation where do you find your
*File No:  
and

*Client No

Agog you might be right about it being sneaky lawyer talk. The office is actually very lazy/too busy to care about sending out paperwork.

We did a parenting questionare that was passed onto the ICL. Some time later In the communcation book we recived alot of fruity information about the childs care that was not in context.
We realised when we recieved the other parties own parenting questionare that our parenting questionare had been passed on months earlier and they were trying to address the parenting questionare issues!

Rarghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Han Solo routine "We're all fine here, thanks. How are you?" *weapons fire* "It was a boring conversation anyway!"
monster said
So before the portal how did the lawyers and srls find out the case dates? Also in your documentation where do you find your

*File No:   
and

*Client No

Agog you might be right about it being sneaky lawyer talk. The office is actually very lazy/too busy to care about sending out paperwork.

We did a parenting questionare that was passed onto the ICL. Some time later In the communcation book we recived alot of fruity information about the childs care that was not in context.
We realised when we recieved the other parties own parenting questionare that our parenting questionare had been passed on months earlier and they were trying to address the parenting questionare issues!

The file search has only been operational for about 18 months. Before that either the Lawyer or SRL either telephoned the Court or asked at the Counter.

Your file number is the case number allocated by the 'Court' and should appear on the cover pages of all 'stamped' documents.

The Client number which is essentially the password will normally only appear on the first one or two documents lodged with the Court.

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (look for the Avatars) Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
The file number and cilent number are used in all documentation from the court.

You have always been able to log on to the Federal Magistrates file search with these numbers.

They are invaluable, we found affidavits being filed, but not served on us, or being served by regular post - all sorts of tricks. It is important to watch what is filed regularly.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 

Checking up

Can I just add how important it is to check on the file search. I have a case this week, where there have been two new affidavits filed with the court about a week ago. We have yet to be served! Having knowledge of these affidavits has allowed us to make many plans and be ready for any thing.

Monti

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on the site (Look for the Avatars).   Be mindful what you post in the public areas. 
"I just see it as another reason why SRLS should be petitioning to have this access for their own cases." wrote Monster.

I've had access to 'my case' on the portal for ages. As the others have written, you just need your file and case/client number. - My lawyer told me about it. I was shocked at how may hearings I have had. Yes, also good to check when documents have been lodged etc. So Monster you can access your own case via this, SLR or not. hehe no need for a petition.

Last edit: by Bec B

BecB's got it in one.

The other issue is that there was another thread which mentioned solicitors being able to electronically file online, which would disadvantage SRLs. This means solicitors (or their clerks, more likely) do not have to walk down to the registry.

As it is, they don't even wait - that is, if you send a pretty clerk down at 5 to 5, you will get in ahead of all the plebs who get locked in until processing is done. At least, this is what happens in my capital city registry…

But to be able to shoot off an electronic version - when SRLs can't do same…not fair.

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
monster said
The issue of being able to file online is just another sneaky trick lawyers could use to run SRLs out of town.
What on Earth are you talkng about? How could Lawyers use this to run SRLs out of town - this is not the Wild West.

monster said
SRLs would have the difficult choice of vacating thier dates or ploughing ahead becasue vacating would mean more waiting! :S

Since SRLs can find their Court dates easily why would you be talking about vacating dates?

Document not available "Online"

monster said
Thanks for the info! Im glad that clients can actually see their documents online. Its another way of cutting costs!
The issue of being able to file online is just another sneaky trick lawyers could use to run SRLs out of town.SRLs would have the difficult choice of vacating thier dates or ploughing ahead becasue vacating would mean more waiting! :S

While the "file search" is available to the parties as well as solicitors, the information returned to either is strictly a list of events, Ie Hearings, lodgement of documents, subpeaonas retruned etc. The actual documents, orders made and other documents are not available online.

For me - Shared Parenting is a Reality - Maybe it can be for you too!
I refer you to http://flwg.com.au/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=2131&start=0#post_12997 where this topic was considered. Artemis may have been referring to this posting?

The facts is that the legal caste will have access to filed documents that SRLs will not have until the bias that favours the industries professsionals is favoured on SRLs. I feel that the predjudice that arises from the added advantage could be grounds for appeals if circumstances existed. It is an issue to be aware of.

Today in the Sydney Registry I had an opportunity to be in the Professional Rooms and observed the resources they have available to them in they way of computer and copying resources.

File Search and the new portal are distinct. In the link above it is well detailed.

When the court learns that better resources and assistance to SRLs will reduce court times and expedite hearing times they will astound themselves. The legal caste are so busy protecting their turf that it is the government that carry the burden of the costs and a substantial wait for trial dates.

I
BecB said
just see it as another reason why SRLS should be petitioning to have this access for their own cases." wrote Monster.
  Having suggested that this issue was one that was that could be argued on the behalf on SRLs and equality I rest my case.

BecB said
I've had access to 'my case' on the portal for ages. As the others have written, you just need your file and case/client number. - My lawyer told me about it. I was shocked at how may hearings I have had. Yes, also good to check when documents have been lodged etc. So Monster you can access your own case via this, SLR or not. hehe no need for a petition.

As I understand the new portal access to filed documents is restricted to professionals who lodge a ABN with the portal. See http://www.comcourts.gov.au/ and https://www.comcourts.gov.au/access/login

What is done for you, let it be done, what you must do, be sure you do it, as the wise person does today that what the fool will do in three days - Buddha
Picking up on something Verdad said, there really should be an SRLs room. Having a legal team for our final was invaluable and not just for legal help.

We had a private room to wait in. Just as well from the constant heckling from parties on the other side. We had access to a photocopier, somewhere safe to spread out our documents and evidence, somewhere to have lunch. I definitely think this is something that should be available to SRLs at least for their final hearing if nothing else.

I don't know what the percentage of SRLs is, but in a recent speech, Justic Faulks said it was only set to increase.

monster said
Do the Lawyers have something more than the tiny little rooms for private conversation at the FLC in Parra? Or is the lawyer resources room only available at the registry in Sydney?
What happened to the SRL-R computer and printer and small room set aside down in Parramatta? The lawyers use the "tiny little rooms" as well as the bigger tea room at the top of the stairs which has the fax machine. In respect to the online portal for documents. It has been in operation through "WEB guide" . The Courts > File Search section and family law link for almost a  year. There is definitely a steady increase of SRL's.

Executive Secretary - Shared Parenting Council of Australia
 Was my post helpful? If so, please let others know about the FamilyLawWebGuide whenever you see the opportunity

Secretary SPCA said
monster said
Do the Lawyers have something more than the tiny little rooms for private conversation at the FLC in Parra? Or is the lawyer resources room only available at the registry in Sydney?
What happened to the SRL-R computer and printer and small room set aside down in Parramatta? The lawyers use the "tiny little rooms" as well as the bigger tea room at the top of the stairs which has the fax machine. In respect to the online portal for documents. It has been in operation through "WEB guide" . The Courts > File Search section and family law link for almost a  year. There is definitely a steady increase of SRL's.

The ground floor area near where these are is being substantially altered to allow for the new revamped 'lodgment' area. This means that access is pretty poor at the moment.

The Lawyers have their own small room at the top of the stairs but they will not use it for conferences as it is sometimes like a Train station. The 'tiny' four person conference rooms on Level 1 are available to all - if you can find one free.

Sydney Registry - resources

At the Sydney Registry there is a more open space on the 7th Floor where the Full Court hearing room is situated. There is a desk where one can write and plug in a laptop.
It is not as busy as the lower floors where most hearings are conducted. The comfortable lounges add to enjoying taxes paid.

According to the Annual Report 2006-7 the percentages of both parties self representing on all cases is reported as 9% for that year, with 19% having one partyself-represented. The numbers have gradually reduced from 2003-4, in that year they were 14% and 29% respectively.

What is done for you, let it be done, what you must do, be sure you do it, as the wise person does today that what the fool will do in three days - Buddha
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets