Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Money Issues

How do you make a smaller ever diminisihing amount of money go further. Rent increases have also exacerbated the financial situation. Besides the obvious one of working more, what are parents doing to make ends meet? Do you have any tips?

It's the two thousand dollars that is hard to come by even in a year, where I live L.P.G is just over half the price of petrol.

I'm not against gas conversion simply saying those who need it most can ill afford it.

One thing is sure the budget certainly has nothing left to cut from it to save.

If the government had a way that the conversion companies could directly access those rebates it will assist all those people in this position, right now you rebate the $2000.00 through medicare that takes only a few days to rebate into your account but you still have to have the money.

I'd be happy for my old clunker to get done and hope one day it will that way I may be able to afford to use it for something more than shopping and school.
I probably could find a family member but because of things that happened in the marriage I'm not prepared to take advantage of help, if I can't afford it these days I do with out.

Another of those little hiccups that has left damage from being abused financially along with my family members.

thats another story though and off topic.  :(

Parents without partners helped me a lot and I have to thank Bary Williams for that. They organized inexpensive outings and social gatherings, got the left over bread from bakeries and handed it out, provided help and support for people who were doing it tough emotionally and financially.

Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough
i have another one, turn the tempreture down to about whatever you use when you have a shower on your hot water system, and when you wash up just use boling water from the kettle.

the reality is that if you ahve the hot water system on all day boilng you are going to put codl water in the shower anyways so just make the water colder. (about 30 to 25 degrees)

in my rental hosue they had the tempreture set on the hot water syetm to boil, so it would boil all day, steam out, boil again, then id get a 500 sparky bill in a 2 person house.
another one is have all your electricals on powerbaord and flick the switch off at the wall for when you not using them.
\
can you tell me more about the parents wihout partners activties. so we can get some ideas

Rarghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Han Solo routine "We're all fine here, thanks. How are you?" *weapons fire* "It was a boring conversation anyway!"
Only put as much water as you need in the kettle, if you have gas, don't use the kettle as gas is cheaper than electricity.

Tax time coming - are you claiming everything you can?

Like the boringly organised person I am, I am getting ready for tax time.

Just a reminder to anyone who hasn't already thought of these things to get a little bit back…. don't forget:

To register yourself for the Medicare Safety Net. By doing this, whenever you process a claim through medicare, an account is kept of your out of pockets. You can use the statement to claim back on your tax if you qualify and are over the threshold for what you've spent going to the doctor etc.

Start for next tax year's cost of education claim. You can claim 50% of the costs of educating your children. This includes textbooks, uniforms and so on; so keep those receipts.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
Artemis said
Start for next tax year's cost of education claim. You can claim 50% of the costs of educating your children. This includes textbooks, uniforms and so on; so keep those receipts.

Are you serious? Is this for the normal jack and jane citizen? And do the children have to be attending a private or public school? My children are in the public school sector, although their school charged like a private school, and we pay out a small fortune for school fees, uniforms, books etc.

Where on the Tax return can we claim for school expenses? I would be very interested in finding out more about this. In the last financial year alone we have spent something like $1700 for school expenses (fees, uniforms, books etc).

What can and can't be claimed for?

Is this something that is starting as of the new tax year?
Hi Deb - it's 08/09 - NEXT July you can claim, so you wont see a "spot" on this years tax return.

EDUCATION TAX REFUND
Under the new $4.4 billion Education Tax Refund program about 1.3 million families (with 2.7 million
students) will be eligible for the refund tax offset which is expected to benefit Australian families by
more than $1 billion a year.
Eligible families will be able to claim a 50 per cent refundable tax offset every year for key education
expenses up to:
- $750 for each child undertaking primary studies
(maximum refund of $375 per child, per year)
- $1500 for each child undertaking secondary studies
(maximum refund of $750 per child, per year)
Families receiving Family Tax Benefit (Part A) with children undertaking primary or secondary studies
or whose school children receive Youth Allowance or another relevant payment (see Attachment) will
be eligible for the Education Tax Refund.
The refundable tax offset will apply to expenses incurred from 1 July 2008 and will be claimed upon
lodgement of a 2008-09 income tax return.

Eligible families will be able to recoup the cost of purchases including:
- laptops;
- home computers and associated costs;
- home internet connection;
- printers;
- education software;
- prescribed trade tools for use at school;
- school text books; and
- stationery.
The refund will not apply to school fees.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.
http://www.aeufederal.org.au/Publications/2008/Budgpap2008.pdf

and more info on this commercial link (sorry, if I am not allowed to post this)

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.
http://www.grantthornton.com.au/files/fed_budget08-09final.pdf

I'm having some problems copying the text from this site.

Childcare rebate changes, but you get more back in your tax (it goes from 30% to 50%).

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets