Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Crisis payments available to assist people who have to leave the marital home

The issue/problem for most men is hopelessness and despair, which 'naturally' leads to depression. This is only to be expected of anyone who has all they love and own removed from them, are made homeless and lose a great deal of control of their own lives

BTW Centrelink are now offering crisis payments to assist people who have to leave the marital home.

There are stringent guidelines - ie. have to be getting another home, not moving in with friends, family etc.

When you are swimming down a creek and an eel bites your cheek, that's a Moray.
Centrelink has offered this for at least 4 years. I used it to leave the ex because he had all bank accounts in his name. I had no savings, no credit card and could not make bond.

I have to say though, the guidelines are not that stringent. There is no checking up that I am aware of.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
There are new payments Artemis however I got that info at work and will have to find out more on Tuesday when I go back in (I have just worked two days of Easter and nothing short of the centre blowing up will induce me to go back on my two days off!) :thumbs:$file/ch013_0612en.pdf$file/ch002_0612en.pdf

Centrelink said
Crisis Payment is a special one-off payment that may be paid in addition to your regular payment from Centrelink. Crisis Payment may be paid where:

  • you have been forced to leave your home and establish, or intend to establish, a new home because of an extreme circumstance such as domestic violence or a natural disaster, or
  • you remain in your home after experiencing domestic violence and the family member responsible has left or been removed from your home, or
  • you have been released from a prison or a correctional centre after being charged with an offence and imprisoned for a period of at least 14 days or
  • you have arrived in Australia for the first time on a qualifying humanitarian visa on or after 1 January 2008
In all situations, to be eligible for a payment, you must be in severe financial hardship and must make a claim within 7 days of the event which has led to your need for Crisis Payment.

You must also be receiving, or be eligible to receive

  • a social security benefit or pension - this includes payments such as Parenting Payment, Newstart Allowance, Youth Allowance, Disability Support Pension and Age Pension or
  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance
Please note: You will not be eligible for a Crisis Payment if your only entitlement from Centrelink is a Family Tax Benefit payment or Child Care Benefit.

Last edit: by Jadzia

When you are swimming down a creek and an eel bites your cheek, that's a Moray.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets