Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Can anything be done about Deception regarding real income in a private CS arrangement

Is there any recourse I can take for years of deception regarding real income forchild support in a private arrangement not registered with CSA??
I got divorced in 2002 and my 3 children lived with me. At the time we had a private support arrangement but as the years passed it became difficult with the amount of support my ex husband was paying. Because he is self employed and a lot of his business is cash money his tax income was always below mine ( school teacher) The many times I enquired with child support I was told that I was better off with the $800.00 a month arrangment I had.  When 2 my daughters turned 18 he only paid $360 a month. So over asking and hearing the same thing "I ve got no money" I gave up and took on a second job instead.
Last year it was agreed that my son would go an live with his father and lowe and behold he went straigt to Chikd support. You can imagine my utter shock to find that my ex earns over 100,000 per year and even with my income 30 % lower I am told I have to pay $800 per month!

I do not dispute the payment what I am most upset about is that for years my ex husband got away with such a small amount and managed to accumulate 3 houses. I feel that he has deceived and deprived his own children and because it was a private arrangement child support say that there is nothing they can do.   Unfortunately I do not have the funds to pursue with a solicitor but is anyone aware of any action that I could take for failing to disclose his true earnings in such a situation and misleading me by saying e had no oney for the last 6 years.??? It is sad to think that such dishonesty and deception has no consequence.  any suggestions would be much appreciated.
As the agreement was private then there is no recourse under the child support legislation although if the agreement were registered as a limited agreement then perhaps there could be recourse as the notional assessment would have been based upon the erroneous taxable income assuming that you have proof that the reported taxable income was in error (note this only applies from 2006-2008 when the new legislation was introduced). As the potential recipient you opted out.

I'm not sure whether this could be taken to court as a Family Law matter in regards to major changes of the property settlement, I doubt it though after 13 years. However, I'd suspect that if it could that this such action could backfire as the child is now in the care of the other parent. Furthermore, the other parent paying over assessed amount would likely affect the outcome. However, there are those more conversant with Family Law than myself who may reply.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets