Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

should i bother with prescribed payment with CSA

Add Topic

bought shoes for sons and non agency payment wasn't accepted

My partner and I recently had his sons 11 and 10 for three days. I was shocked at the state of the boys shoes, my older ss was in "skate shoes" way too big and he has severely rolled in feet, when he took shoes off they were still bulged out on the inside were his foot rolls in. He can't walk properly now and will likely end up crippled if nothing is done. The youngest is a natural athlete and his feet slightly roll in, his shoes were worn out and probably $20 new and really heavy but no with support. They said that these were the shoes they would be wearing for school. They both have never had decent shoes bought for them by their mother. Yet they each have their own tv and x-box etc. I am aware that boys are extremely hard on shoes - my son has gone through five pairs in the past for school. He has two pairs on average now. I took stepsons immediately to get professionally fitted for school/running shoes. They were extremely happy and thankful, even ringing up to tell their dad that all their friends at school said how cool they were (shoes that is). I attempted to claim as non-agency payment through csa however their mother did not accept it. Is it worth claiming as a prescribed payment with CSA as part of their uniform costs or maybe even medical?
Assuming that you and your partner have a level of care of less than 14% then the CSA should have told you that as it forms part of the school uniform, then it would have been a prescribed payment. If you do have less than 14% then I'd suggest that you do. This may send a message to the other parent that in this area they have to be responsible, otherwise the other parent can step in.

I doubt that you could claim it as medical due to the following :-

CSA Guide - 5.3.1: Non-agency payments said
A payer can claim only their actual costs. CSA will credit only the net amount after any rebate the person can claim from Medicare or a health insurance fund. Prescribed payments include essential consultation fees for services provided by medical and dental practitioners, treatment by specialists, eye testing, X-rays, pathology tests, examinations and certain out-of-hospital surgical procedures by Medicare approved practitioners. The cost of medication associated with essential treatment is also included, as well as equipment such as crutches or a vaporiser.

Prescribed payments include in-hospital costs either as a public patient, or as a private patient in a public or private hospital. Costs can include accommodation and items such as theatre fees, anaesthetist costs, pathology, X-rays and medicines.

Prescribed payments may also include fees for medical or dental services not covered by Medicare, if they are essential for the child in the opinion of a practitioner approved by private health funds. These services include:

    * emergency ambulance services;
    * physiotherapy;
    * speech and eye therapy;
    * chiropractic services;
    * podiatry;
    * psychological services;
    * optometry and repairs.

Therefore it would have to be under school uniform. Due to the condition of the feet and if you have less than 14% of care, you could perhaps take the children to a podiatrist and then claim that. However I'd say that it'd be more important to consider trying to do something about the lack of care that the other parent is providing. Perhaps the SRL's could make some suggestions in regard to this aspect.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets