Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Child Support payments: who receives them when teenager won't come home?

Add Topic
My just turned 17 year old daughter has slowly been taking her belongings to her boyfriends house (he lives with father and brother) what started as a few sleepovers has now it seems become a permanant thing and she just wont come home to sleep here other than visit me and ask for money etc. she has decided she wants to apply for youth allowance as the money i give her is 'not enough' and she knows how much she can get for rent assistance and independant youth allowance and she says lots of her friends are doing it (moving out under 18 with boyfriends and getting the allowance)

What will happen to the child support payments i receive from her father if she manages to do this (her father has had nothing to do with her since she was a baby) will they go directly to her? or will they cease?

Will she even be granted youth allowance 'independant' from she does have a loving safe home here but just want's to do her own thing and sees this as an opportunity to move out and be self sufficient.

I have been reading the Centrelink pages for youth allowance and can see to be eligible she has to be in state care (how does this occur?) or an orphan (not) in an unsafe home (not) I just want my daughter home to finish her HSC this year and get a good start in life. Any help on how this system works would be so appreciated.
As your daughter has become a member of a couple this should be a terminating event and thus child support should cease. Here's an extract from the CSA Guide:

The CSA Guide - 2.10.3: Terminating Events said
Definition of child support terminating events

The various 'terminating events' are listed in section 12 of the Assessment Act. CSA must amend or end an assessment to take into account a terminating event (section 74).

Child terminating event

A terminating event happens if the child of the child support assessment:

    * dies;
    * ceases to be an eligible child because the child is in the care of a person under a child welfare law (section 22 and regulation 4);
    * turns 18 (unless CSA has accepted an application for the assessment to continue beyond a childs 18th birthday);
    * is adopted;
    * becomes a member of a couple (living with a person as the partner of that person on a genuine domestic basis or with someone they are legally married to, section 5. A person cannot live with another person on a genuine domestic basis if they are aged under 16 years);
    * is no longer present in Australia, is not an Australian citizen, and is not ordinarily resident in Australia (and is not subject to an international maintenance arrangement); or
    * a second liability is registered for the same parents and child/ren (section 30AA(1) of the Registration and Collection Act).

Did you read the following in regard to Youth Allowance?

Youth Allowance Eligibility said
You may also be eligible for Youth Allowance in some circumstances if you are 15 years old, and you are:

    * considered independent[1], and
    * above the school leaving age in your State of Territory, and
    * looking for work, studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship full-time.

in conjunction with :

Youth Allowance - independence said

If you apply for Youth Allowance, you will be assessed as either being dependent or independent.

You may be considered independent if:

    * you are aged 23 or over and a full-time student or Australian Apprentice, or
    * you are or have been legally married, in a registered relationship or living in a de facto relationship with another person as a member of a couple, or
    * you have, or have had a dependent child, or
    * you have supported yourself through workforce participation, or
    * you have a partial capacity to work as determined by a Job Capacity Assessment[1], or
    * you have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities, or
    * you are unable to live at home due to extreme family breakdown, violence in the home, or serious threats to your health or well-being, or
    * you are a refugee without parents living in Australia or
    * you are an orphan and have not been legally adopted, or
    * you are in State care, or only stopped being in State care because of your age.

Independence for students from outer regional, remote and very remote areas

Students from outer regional, remote and very remote areas can be assessed as independent if they have:

    * earned at least 75% of the maximum rate of pay under Wage Level A of the Australian pay and classifications scale[2] in an 18-month period, or
    * worked part-time (at least 15 hours each week) for at least 2 years.

To be assessed as independent under these arrangements, you must be a full-time student and need to move away from home to study because your parents home is in an area considered to be outer regional, remote or very remote.

It is also a requirement that your parents earned less than $150,000 in the base tax year (for example, in May 2011, the base tax year is the year ending 30 June 2010) or the current tax year if their income has changed substantially.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics determines whether an area is considered to be outer regional, remote or very remote. Find out which area your family home is in using our Remote Independence Search[3].
Member of a couple

You may be considered independent if you are now, or have previously been, a member of a de facto couple for at least 12 months. Relationships of at least six months are accepted in special circumstances (for example, if your partner has died or the relationship ended due to domestic violence). To qualify as independent as a member of a couple, you must be over the age of consent in the State or Territory you live in for that time.
Self-supporting through workforce participation

You may be considered independent if you have supported yourself through full-time paid employment for at least 18 months within a period of two years. Full-time employment means that you have worked an average of 30 hours per week throughout the 18 months.

The hours that you work each week can be averaged over periods of no more than 13 weeks (for example, you will meet the independence criterion if you have worked at least 390 hours in each of six periods of 13 weeks).

You must be working full-time for a total of at least 18 months. You cannot meet this requirement within a period of 12 months.

Basically I believe at 17 there is nothing or very little you can do to legally force your daughter to stay at home. If you tied then it would probably only create a greater wish for your daughter to not live at home.
You are legally obliged to inform the Child Support Agency of this change in circumstances otherwise you will have to repay any child support wrongly received.
So what do we do partners daughter age 15 is living with her 22 year old boyfriend full time, we have reported this to CSA they ring the mother she denies it and thats the end of the story. we have reported it to the police who have asked the mother to come in and talk to them about it, she has so far refused, they were going to report it to DOCS, they wont be interested we have tried all that before. In the mean time we are still paying child support to the mother for a child no longer living there.

The Child Support Agency should of done more than just ring the Mother, they are supposed to have the mother prove that her daughter is still 'in her care' and you also are supposed to have the right to prove she is not. There should be an open case that once the evidence is sent to Child Support it is then decided the outcome.

I wonder in your situation however living with her boyfriend and only aged 15, if she is considered living in a 'genuine domestic' basis.

As the Mod said below, Child Support ceases when the child is living in a genuine domestic basis, and is over the age of 16, as anyone under the age of 16 cannot live with another person in a genuine domestic basis.

My daughter however, I am still fully financially supporting, buying her clothing, paying her mobile phone bill, feeding her, buying school uniforms, paying school fees, giving spending money, the works, and she comes and goes as she pleases. She just sees a way to get an easy $200 a week from Centrelink for this away from home 'Youth Allowance' her friends seem to be doing, and wants to make the move official.

Against my wishes, as the situation is not safe, the boy is known to have violent outbursts and has a police record for domestic violence including reports involving my daughter. It seems i can do nothing about it though.

Once she applies for youth allowance, Centrelink told me that Child Support immediately stops.

I wonder if your daughter has applied for this allowance living away from her mother? would pay to check up on that?
would centrelink give us that information though??

I do a fraud report on a regular basis but nothing ever seems to come of it. When we told the police the bf's name they said they knew that name so that doesn't sound good, she refuses to tell her dad anything every time he asks she hangs up on him.
Rather than trying to get them to do things over the phone, try writing to C$A offering the information or even lodging a COA which they have to consider.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets