Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Can CSA retrospectively charge me?

Add Topic
I pay $100 per month child support but we have no formal CSA assessment on foot. Under the formula I would be paying a lot more. If the ex chose to obtain a formal CSA assessment would I be liable for excess child support for the period of time BEFORE the CSA assessment came into being? 
You would only be liable for 3 months prior to the new period starting, which is the date that your ex requested an assessment.

She can ask for a change of assessment going back 18 months, but this would need to be under special circumstances and a lot of paperwork required by the ex.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
You also have two other possibilities that you may wish to consider; A binding or limited agreement. The former requires that both of you sign the agreement and that you have both taken legal advice, as the name implies they are very strong and have no minimal payments, however they are not common. A limited agreement is all but an assessment, the amount has to be as much or more as a notional assessment, which is basically an assessment that isn't applied. Both must be in writing.

If these are of interest, and note that they are agreements, I can post more.
I wouild suggest that you keep as far away from the CSA as you can for as long as you can.  This includes keeping ex as happy as you can which means paying on time and doing all you can for the kids.  

Back to your question, CSA can only collect from date either you or ex approach them.  They cannot backdate on an informal agreement.

I also suggest that you work out what CSA would calculate and buy yourself a heap of blue chip shares with borrowed money that attracts sufficient interest to reduce your taxable income to a more manageable level, as a contingency (assuming you are a wage and salary earner).
Mike T.... the best way to achieve either is via the FLCoA stay clear of CSA....CSA will require the payment amount and arrangement to be passed through them and they would only agree to it if it met their expectations.
Mike T…. the best way to achieve either is via the FLCoA stay clear of CSA….CSA will require the payment amount and arrangement to be passed through them and they would only agree to it if it met their expectations.

Uhm, for the Binding agreement I don't think the FLCoA even needs to be involved, the agreement is made by the parties and then signed by both parties and shown to confirm that both parties have sought legal advice. The CSA have to then respect that binding agreement and the agreement cannot be varied unless terminated and replaced. Termination also requires that both parties have sought legal advice.

It need really only be made known to the CSA, if one of the parties tries to register for CSA, however, personally I'd advise anyone entering into a binding agreement to then register that agreement with the CSA, this should then prevent them from taking some of the measures they frequently take before ascertaining the facts.

Limited agreements are hardly worth considering other than perhaps protecting against change of assessments and I'm not sure of that either I've not looked into notional assessments properly (or more likely the grey matter didn't take it in). Perhaps I should create a topic on alternatives to the CSA. Perhaps it should be a category in it's own right.

I wholeheartedly agree that people should look to not resorting to using the CSA, it is a runaway train with the carriages crashing around everywhere, destroying much in it's many and ever changing paths. However unfortunately it takes two to not tango in this instance and that is so often not the case, even when one party really tries. Saying that praise to those who do avoid resorting to the CSA, they set an example that all should look to, well in my opinion anyway.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets