Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

As the wife of a payer, am I allowed to weigh in on the COA?

Add Topic

Considering the notice of decision is Customer-In-Confidence

I've been mentioned many times in this decision, but would like to know if I can contribute my own opinion and response (which would only ever be submitted on approval of husband)?.  The big bold words Customer - in- Confidence have me concerned.  What are my legal rights?.  I ask this because, as good as my husband is at working and fixing things mechanical etc, this kind of stuff leaves him cold and bewildered.

I am his representative on CSA matters.  I was ordered out of the room in the telephone conference by the SCO when she thought she overheard me in the room.  (Yikes = So I hid in the hallway).  Seriously though, I am the voice, and researcher of info, and by no means try to influence my husband in these matters, just advise him.  And sometimes my advice is not necessarily of an adversarial type, but rather a 'we might have to cop it sweet' type,  depending on what I've learned.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a 5 star simpleton.  But am tenacious with my research (which probably means nothing considering my 5 stars).  How does the "Customer-In-Confidence" rule apply?  And what kind of trouble could I get into replying to the SCO at her practice personally regarding some of her own searches?
I have been pondering this for a few days. My view is that the legal answer is No unless you have Power of Attorney or Authority as listed below… but but but… You absolutley need to participate in this with your current partner. My approach would be that you would work with your partner to formulate an approach and then that is "HIS" approach. Its a credit to you that you are jumping in to assist in sorting out what are complex and administrative issues with your new partner. Are you his "authorised assigned" person in dealing with CSA matters?

Here is a link worth looking at Customer Authorised Representatives

Authorised agents with power of attorney, or other legal authority to act on the customers behalf

Possession of a power of attorney is sufficient authorisation if it confers on the recipient authority to do anything that he or she can lawfully do on behalf of the customer as an attorney. The representative must be able to provide a written document conferring a general power of attorney. Alternatively, the power of attorney may have been conferred for child support purposes only. If a person has been given a power of attorney to act on someones behalf for purposes including child support purposes, CSA will accept such representation.

The Public Trustees Office and the Office of the Protective Commissioner are both legally authorised to act on behalf of a person.

Representatives with ordinary authority

Representatives with ordinary authority have been authorised by a CSA customer to act on their behalf. They are not a CSA customers solicitor and do not have a power of attorney. In most cases, they are a CSA customers partner calling CSA seeking or giving information on behalf of the customer. However, they could be a customers friends, or any third party authorised by a CSA customer to act on their behalf, including Members of Parliament and their electorate staff making representations on behalf of their constituent. It should be noted that the Commonwealth Ombudsman does not act as a customers representative. The Ombudsman is authorised by legislation to investigate the administrative actions of Commonwealth agencies including CSA.

Executive Secretary - Shared Parenting Council of Australia
 Was my post helpful? If so, please let others know about the FamilyLawWebGuide whenever you see the opportunity
Ajae, I am also a representative for my husband, which only means I can call the CSA for him. I had a phone conversation with someone from the CSA and mentioned that I do pretty much all the groundwork when it comes to COAs. The CSA lady replied that they are aware of this and it happens more and more. In this context, it sounded to me CSA is well aware that spouses are involved in COAs and I did not get a lecture that it is illegal. I guess the COA application however has to be signed by the person with the CSA case. In our case, I do the research, type up a draft letter and husband edits and signs.
Sec SPCA, thanks for your advice.  By the way, my partner for whom I am assisting is not new, we have been married almost 5 years.
 Until recently he/we have never had a problem with CSA. But due to recent quirky "decisions" by CSA we have decided to take a stand.
I've taken it upon myself to write personally to the SCO involved.  It's quite a nice letter outlining my gratitude for certain points contained in her decision. It also makes mention that my husband would not necessarily agree to my writing to her personally, therefore any legal repercussions of my doing so lay solely with me.
Babushka, we are on the same page and for the same reasons.  Our husbands have possibly been shafted long enough by the ex's. And they have better things to do than pore over legislation and write letters, (especially given they can't type to save themselves and would prefer to do what they do best in the shed.  Whatever that is).
Thanks guys.  Ajae
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets