Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

URGENT changing parenting orders

moving abroad

Has anyone been in this situation? I have parenting orders giving me contact with my son. This is mostly by telephone as he lives interstate. From the date of the orders his mother and her lawyer have obstructed my contact making telephone contact very difficult.
However I am moving to the UK in August and have requested very reasonably that I be able to remain in touch with my son by email because of the 10 hour time difference and expense of ringing from England.
Both the mother and the lawyer said no giving the excuse that her computer wasn't working and she had no internet. I have now bought my son a laptop and offered to pay the costs of a capped mobile broadband service.
The lawyer and the mother said no again!

I then asked if they would attend family dispute meditation and guess what? The lawyer said no.

I pointed out that in this case the matter would need to go back to court to change the orders. The lawyer wrote threatening me with costs if I challenged the orders on the grounds of Rice and Asplund.

Surely, a move to the UK warrants a serious and significant change of circumstances sufficient to get the orders changed so I can stay in touch with my son by email from England.

Obviously the lawyer and ny son's mother are both being obstructive so I need to get this matter back to court urgently. Could anyone give me an idea on how to proceed? I know I need to obtain a certificate from the dispute resolution centre but could you direct me to correct forms I need to fill in and send into the court?
Any idea on costs would help too.


What ever you decide to do - don't delay

Except in exceptional circumstances, it takes between 6 and 8 weeks to get to the first hearing after file the documents in court.

It is possible to get an urgent hearing in special circumstances. Whether the Court would would consider your circumstances as urgent would remain to be seen.

For example - I have seen a Federal Magistrate tell an applicant's solicitor "Your client knew they didn't have a passport for the child when they made they purchased the ticket. The application was for a registrar to sign the application because the applicant couldn't find the father (Read did not look very hard either)

Given the little you have said and it probably unwise to say much more in an open forum, I doubt the Rice and Asplund argument would be successful in defeating an application to change the orders.

For me - Shared Parenting is a Reality - Maybe it can be for you too!
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets