Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

can you take civil action against an alienator

Can you take civil action against an ex partner where as a result of their poisoning, the children now refuse to see the other parent? A clinical psychologist has stated that she accepts that the children have been poisoned and coerced, and that the claims by the children against me are baseless and somewhat fanciful.

Thanks in advance.
What is the tort? Human rights, article 8, claims won't stand up as they don't apply to individuals.
Hurt feelings? Not sure how actionable that is. All's fair in love and war really. Not much you can do in other words.

With alienation, the wrong is to the child, not you. Also, with alienation, both parents can make a contribution so the whole area is very arguable. I'm not saying this applies to you, as evidently the expert is ascribing responsibility to the mother.

It would be interesting to hear a solicitor's view.
I am affraid you have no grounds to stand on. Most likely if the mother took the child to the different clinical psychologist her psychologist would report in her favour. Children say what their parents want to hear to protect themselves.

Moderator Note

It would be more correct to say that Children may say what they consider an authoritative figure, which includes parents, may want to hear.

i.e. Children do not always say what their parents want to hear. If aligned to a parent a child will tend to say what that one parent wants to hear. Such alignment isn't necessarily limited to alignment with a parent.

Last edit: by MikeT

can you take civil action against an alienator

You can take legal action but it will only be beneficial if the children are young.  I have been through the same process/problem with my ex with my teenage boys. We also had a court psych tells us that the father would continue to alienate my younger son the longer he was in his care as he had already done this to my eldest child, (the games and alienation has now occurred in my younger 13yr old boy) My lawyer advised that alienation in young children (5-9yrs) or younger  will be taken more seriously in court as long as you have very good evidence. So document everything before they become teenages.  good luck
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets