Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Yet Another 2008 Child Support Calculator

I've been playing around after Secretary_SPCA explained in words I could understand how calculations for other biological children (not step children though) are done. As part of doing this I've created an online Calculator, rudimentary, but hopefully reasonably accurate, except for special circumstances, including minimum payments.

I'd be grateful for any feedback/suggestions especially concerning the accuracy.

The calculator can be found at MikeT's 2008 CS Calculator.
Looks good, but what is the difference between this and the one on the CSA website?

When you are swimming down a creek and an eel bites your cheek, that's a Moray.
Looks good, just after looking at this post a friend rang me saying help I am paying tooooooooo much CS how can we reduce it.

This calc may at least give him a bit of peace of mind until CSA do a final assesment.

A quick imput of my figures gave me the resualt I am paying, her imcome is higher than mine with zero nights with me so it looks, on first blow, good and easy to use.
Hi Mike, I'm not sure,

I worked out my situation and it still seems to pay too much, then I added a child (if I had a child with my new partner) and the payment amount went from $600 and something a month to $6K?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think the payer would be paying me more for having a kid with someone else.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 

Mike T's Proposed CSA Calculator

Hi Mike

Thanks for your efforts.  My husband pays C.S. for 2 children and we have one together.

When I used the child support Calculator that the Family Web Guide put up some months ago our payments (which did not include any reduction due to our bio son) was around $6,300.

When I just used yours which does take into account children from second families, the payments went up to around $12,500!

For interests sake I then put in 2 children on the second families front and the payment amount reduced by only $60.

Therefore, I think that their maybe a small hiccup in your calculations that may need adjusting.

Thanks again.
Jadzia.

This one is for the new changes to apply from July. Reports are that the one of the CSA website does not cater for the changes (just been there it doesn't).

The differences with the new changes include:

- Scaled payment percentages (percentages reduce with higher incomes and change with the child's age [under 13's and over 13's]).

- Only 1-3 children considered (mix of ages catered for).

- The exempt income has been equalised (now called Self-Support Income) at $16,883 (instead of $14,000ish for a payer and $40,000ish for a payee).

- Other children (adoptive or biological) of either parent are considered and that consideration is based upon the theoretical cost of the child as worked as if CS were being paid and this amount is then subtracted from that parents income, as such there is less influence to the reductions.

It's a major change and as I understand it the majority of payers will pay less. It looks as though I'll be paying around $200 less, someone the other day $300 less, some will pay more, primarily those who are at the minimum payment and lower income end. Although the other children changes may disadvantage some payers.
Hi Mike.

It looks good and thanks for taking the time to write it up.

One small mistake I have found is that if you put in 52 days care (14%) it says that there is care reduction of 0%.

52 nights per year (14%) will actually get you the 24% reduction.

Amendments

Nearth2002 said
It looks good and thanks for taking the time to write it up.  On small mistake I have found is that if you put in 52 days care (14%) it says that there is care reduction of 0%.  52 nights per year (14%) will actually get you the 24% reduction.
Nearth2002.

Thanks for spotting that; it's been fixed. I had coded less than or equal to 52, when it should have been just less or equal to 51 (I've also double checked the other care values, they are >= 52 or < 127 gives 24%, >= 127 or < 176 is calculated by subtracting 127 from the nights and multiplying the remainder by 0.5 and adding it to 25 and lastly if > 176 nights the reduction is 50%).
The Calculator said
(52 Nights input)

Payers Care% =14 Care reduction=24% Cost of Children=$5473.95

Payees Percentage of CS=0.00% Payers Percentage of CS=76.00%

(127 Nights input)

Payers Care% =35 Care reduction=25% Cost of Children=$5473.95

Payees Percentage of CS=0.00% Payers Percentage of CS=75.00%

(175 Nights input)

Payers Care% =48 Care reduction=49% Cost of Children=$5473.95

Payees Percentage of CS=0.00% Payers Percentage of CS=51.00%

(176 Nights input)

Payers Care% =48 Care reduction=50% Cost of Children=$5473.95

Payees Percentage of CS=0.00% Payers Percentage of CS=50.00%
Artemis.

Some of the values in the cost of children table/array were wrong, these have now been corrected, so I think it should not suddenly jump as it did.
I think there is still a bug.

As I scale down the EX's income, my CSA contribution also Drops.

The ex has one child with me (junior) and one with some unknown guy (<12months).
I've entered my figures into the calc but without any 'other' biological children (ie,  std CS calculation) and amounts are close to the FLWB Calculator and DIDS Calulator…. 

Last edit: by bugsiboy

The only thing wrong with all the present calculators is that even the CSA (who are more skillful pickpockets than any magician) have yet to 'decide' on some interpretations of the legislation.

'Decide' is a CSA term for 'what we can get away with'

As yet until the almighty CSA get their own 'proper' working version up -everyone is still in the 'twilight zone' waiting for the benevolent CSA to come to their aid

Did I say benevolent? must have been the name of the pig that just flew past the window

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (look for the Avatars) Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
thats true Agog, but there is enough info out there telling us what the expected amount of CS to pay,  so it would be interesting to see what CSA determine what our new amounts will be !!!

btw,, i was informed by CSA that we will all know what the new CS amounts will be in March-08 as they will be sending out letters to payers and payees on this matter…   
I spoke to my Special Case Officer @ CSA this morning and she said that they were running a bit behind, but the new Estimator (Calculator) was supposed to be ready now but they are running behind due to hold ups in the passing of the final legislation.  She said that it should be available in about 1 month.  She also told me March 08 for notification of assessment.
MikeT said
I'd be grateful for any feedback/suggestions especially concerning the accuracy.

The calculator can be found at MikeT's 2008 CS Calculator.
The calculator does not appear to take into account the fact that the calculations on each income are fixed to a maximum ceiling and once you reach the maximum amount that is as far as it goes in relation to making the calculations and the rest is disregarded. Thats how I read the legislation. That was one of the main problems with the old formula, as the more you earned the more the Payee was paid and this could result in the Payee having a life style after separation that was significantly better financially than before. The idea of the new formula was to get it back to a formula relating to the real costs of children not a formula that kept paying out the more you earned.

I thought it was about 104k roughly without looking it up. It is listed here in the forums. Otherwise the calculator works well and it is interesting to see that both FLWG and Mike T are up already and proofing with some sort of estimators (Regardless of 100% accuracy or not) yet CSA are now talking some additional months to deliver. At some stage we also need to deal with the FTB contributions and loss of FTB to those having less than 35% care.

The calculators needs also to state this is for the new legislation in July 2008.

Executive Secretary - Shared Parenting Council of Australia
 Was my post helpful? If so, please let others know about the FamilyLawWebGuide whenever you see the opportunity

Ok I've made a change to the calculation (was applying the income difference % reduction, then the care reduction, whilst they should be added first then applied).

I hope this resolves the issue with payments appearing to go the wrong way, not that I could find that problem, although I did come across what appears to be a plateau say if the payers ATI is $35000 and the payees $25000 (think it went up to $27000), when even though amounts were changing the actual resultant CS payable remained the same, all the way to $0 and I checked the MRA one and it did the same (as did my excel spreadsheet). Something that I'll check out again.

As for accuracy, I've run all 4 scenarios given in the "Best Interest of the Children" and each one is accurate to within a cent or maybe it was a dollar, but it was obviously rounding.

uhhm re the CSA, funny I was actually asked by a CSO to give the CSO the spreadsheet, so some may even be using my one (sheesh should I have coded it to recognise my CSA#)  :)

Secretary_spca How far did you go?

$147000 ish (for 1 income) I think is the ceiling, but the ceiling exists (sorry it's late and I can't be bothered to work out the exact figures basically the ceiling is $126620 (of the combined child support income) after taking out the self support income (16883 once or twice if both have income).

Anyway the calculator does, as I see it, handle the ceiling OK.

The ceiling is based upon 2.5 times MTAWE (Male Total Average Weekly Earnings), that's the $126620.
The trusty :) Claculator said
For ATI of $140000 it says :-

Payees regarded income [ATI($0) less Self Support Income($16883) less cost of other children($0)]=$0

Payers regarded income [ATI($140000) less Self Support Income($16883) less cost of other children($0)]=$123117

Combined Child Support Income=$123117

Payers Care% =0 Care reduction=0% Cost of Children=$15202.47

Payees Percentage of CS=0.00% Payers Percentage of CS=100.00%

CS Payable - Annual=$15,202.47 Monthly=$1,269.47 Weekly=$291.35 Daily=$41.62209

For ATI of $150000 it says

Payees regarded income [ATI($0) less Self Support Income($16883) less cost of other children($0)]=$0

Payers regarded income [ATI($150000) less Self Support Income($16883) less cost of other children($0)]=$133117

Combined Child Support Income=$133117

Payers Care% =0 Care reduction=0% Cost of Children=$15448

CS Payable - Annual=$15,448.00 Monthly=$1,289.98 Weekly=$296.06 Daily=$42.29432

For $160000 it says :-

Payers regarded income [ATI($160000) less Self Support Income($16883) less cost of other children($0)]=$143117

Combined Child Support Income=$143117

Payers Care% =0 Care reduction=0% Cost of Children=$15448

CS Payable - Annual=$15,448.00 Monthly=$1,289.98 Weekly=$296.06 Daily=$42.29432
I must admit I'm not sure of at least one thing, and that is when working out the CS for other biological or adoptive children, to apply the minimum payment or do as I have done if the income is 0 treat it as $0 CS. I still haven't got my head around the minimum payment stuff, hence the message the calculator gives.
You are making a valiant effort and I, for one, really appreciate it. Will be very useful when it has it's glitches worked out.

Junior Executive of SRL-Resources

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on this site (Look for the Avatars). Be mindful what you post in public areas. 
OK Folks, I've been playing around a little more. This time initially to cater for changes in the MTAWE (Male Total Average Weekly Earnings), which if changed, which it will be at least annually (the ABS publish it on a quarterly basis. although it appears that the CSA use an annual average). A change to the MTAWE changes SSI (Self Support Income) and the Cost of Children table, as the 6 stages (similar to tax brackets) are all based upon the MTAWE. Secretary_SPCA, the threshold is 2.5 times this and will rise quite dramitically as the MTAWE rises.

Anyway I have a new version of the calculator, which calculates all the variables, which are all based upon the MTAWE (except the data that is input) from a file that holds the MTAWE and can hold a number of them. As such the calculator will now calculate a row of data per MTAWE value. Currently there are three such MTAWE values, one for 2005-2006, one for 2006-2007 and another for 2007-2008. The first two are the annual averages as that is what the CSA appear to use (worked out all the 2005-2006 annual MTAWE's from the ABS site and only the average came close to that used in the task force examples). The last value is the latest available quarterly value and is for the first quarter of 2007-2008.

In addition to this I've spruced it up a little, the calculated data is displayed as a table. I've also added some explanatory notes. It's quite a change so I've created a separate page  The latest incarnation of the calculator.

Again any feedback and or suggestions are welcome.

Lastly thanks for the thanks and interest I've been given.
Please refer to the following link to update the calculator. So far it worked well for me.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.
http://www.cch.com.au/document/attachments/child%20support.pdf

Thank you for the valuable effort.

ADDED PDF file as links unreliable (Secretary SPCA)

Attachment
2007 and 2008 MTAWE Gazetted

Last edit: by Secretary SPCA

rom007, I've updated the underlying data to reflect these values and thanks for finding this and posting the link, great stuff. :thumbs:

According to the calculator if I include my ex's new baby I pay more child support than if I don't.

How is that fair?

When you are swimming down a creek and an eel bites your cheek, that's a Moray.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets