Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Bank Accounts

Hypothetically, let's say Dad has an unpaid CSA debt with no payment arrangement. Dad has met a new partner and they share a bank account.

Does the CSA have the right to raid that account for arrears?

If so how do they determine what percentage of that bank accounts monies belonged to dad to start with?

Just a thought.

Bank accounts

Best advice is not to have a joint bank account! I am not too sure on the legalities of the CSA ability to take money from joint accounts.

Executive Member of SRL-Resources, the Family Law People on the site (Look for the Avatars).   Be mindful what you post in the public areas. 
I don't think ANYONE (other than the banks and fees) have the right to take money out of your accounts without permission.

Let's hope it stays that way - imagine trying to live day to day and finding that your account was wiped!

When you are swimming down a creek and an eel bites your cheek, that's a Moray.
If that's the case I advise everybody to join the bank of YourMattress … no interest and no CSA interference.

How dare they.
I have had contact with someone who had double payments taken from their account leaving the account in debt.

I have also spoken to someone who had told their bank of the situation and told the manager not to let funds be removed without a court order. I believe the manager honoured his request.

If the Manager has the belief that moneys can be drawn from a joint account they may well accept the deductions of funds.

This is opinion not legal confirmation. But who has the big stick?

The CSA can and does take money from bank accounts without telling you

Over the past 12 years I have heard several stories of the CSA cleaning out bank accounts.

These were not joint accounts.  I believe joint accounts are more problematic (for the CSA), however, I cannot speak authoritatively on that issue.

The CSA have been known to and will direct and threaten a bank for the removal of money from an account.

As part of the CSA theft, the bank is told not to notify you - their customer - about the demand until AFTER the money has been taken.

If you have money in the bank, carefully consider how much and which bank it is in (and if that bank has been advised of your Tax File Number (TFN), thus making it easier for the CSA to find you via the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)).  If you money is in a bank known to your ex consider changing banks.

When changing don't electronically transfer, as you will be leaving a 'paper' trail.

If there are large amounts only deposit amounts of $9,000 or less (check this as I believe that banks are required to report transactions above $10,000 to the Federal Government).

If you receive money from the government or work consider having a separate bank and account for incoming transactions and deposits from your savings.  Again consider transferring the money manually and not electronically so as to leave a 'paper' trail.

If you have pay going into an account/bank consider splitting it at source - your employer - so that half goes to one account and half to another.  The object being to minimise your loses.  Learn and know when you work pays money into your account so that you can retrieve it ASAP, or move or transfer to a safe place.

If you have someone you trust consider parking money in their account, though that my have interest and tax implications for them.

Putting money away in accounts for your child is not safe; the CSA do not consider you a real parent with the best interests of your children at heart and will just mercilessly gobble up that money to pay to your ex (who of course can spend it how she likes ie. not on your children!).

Ideas for Child Support Management

What then do you propose/suggest LifeInsight?

My suggestions will slow the CSA down.

Both here and elsewhere I read about the overburden of work at the CSA and Centrelink, so my suggests may buy time, if not solve the problem.

Better to work at it than give up and die.
I heard that the CSA can't go "fishing" at every bank to determine if you hold an account there or not; but that they need provided leads to question that particular bank.

I think the above advice is good advice, if I get in that situation, I'm shifting everything out to store in a safe or something.

The CSA are rogue mongrels.

My partner has a payment arrangement in place but I also contribute a salary to our joint bank account so if they took money from our account and I could prove that the money was contributed just by me I'd have them charged with theft.

I don't know how far I would get but come on this ridiculous.

My Dad was right all along: stash it under your mattress and you'll all be better off.
I'd suggest that CSA would claim that it's an asset that is shared 50/50 and they would refer to the lack of money in your partner's bank account and use your monetary input into the joint account as you both living off his money and banking yours, therefore they would have a claim to those funds.

Just assuming though.

Mind an account in a name with no tax file number and a different billing address may mean they do not have the authority to access the account without proof that it is your account, especially if nor declared but this may also be considered an attempt to reduce support payments.

I guess the best option is for fathers to reduce work time and become more involved with the kids by spending more time, although reducing the support $ amount it will increase the care and support time and help the kids better adjust from more exposure to dad.

But even that has inherent problems at times.

Perhaps simpler clearer guidelines that represent the true costs of raising children shared by both parents might work.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets