Donate Child Support Calculator
Skip navigation

Breach of Privacy s121 Family Law Act

I have been trying to ascertain if annexing a copy of Family Court orders to a contract for sale which discloses my name and the file court file number is a breach of my privacy.

It would appear that the Government and Courts in this country who make the law do not appear to know what a breach of privacy is.  Despite numerous phone calls and letters over the past month, I have not been able to ascertain if the act of annexing a copy of my court orders which disclose my name and family court file number is a breach of my privacy.  I have been referred round and round in circles from Law Access to the Privacy Commission who want me to lodge a complaint BUT I do not know if this is a breach so how can I lodge a complaint?  Due to my financial hardship I am unable to obtain independent legal advice and I am currently struggling to vacate my home which is to be auctioned off shortly.  Is there anyone in this country who can help me to find an answers?
You should read Section 121 of the Family Law Act regarding publication and disclosure. The issue of privacy is moot depending on the circumstances ie why were the orders attached. To give some examples, many schools require a copy (or to view) any Court orders, Centrelink do and any Banks or Superannuation companies to view and confirm Court settlement details.

Why are you so concerned about this and why wasting time following up on it?
I am concerned because through the file court number, the orders and reasons for judgment are able to be viewed by the public and this document discloses everything about me, my life, financials and even my children.
Are you talking about the decisions that are available on the Austlii website?
janke said
I am concerned because through the file court number, the orders and reasons for judgment are able to be viewed by the public and this document discloses everything about me, my life, financials and even my children.
Janke your post is in riddles! small wonder you could not get a definitive answer to your "exhaustive inquiries" Can you define viewed by the public? Who or what public?  

Are you trying to prove a point? Waste readers time? Or get back at your ex?

Dear Mr Nasty, I have just been informed that what I have been trying to get an answer to is in fact a breach of privacy.  Go update your law qualifications!
Your posts illustrate an obsession about the privacy issue and you even stared a poll (deleted by a moderator? about your issue) The fact that it took so long after your 'exhaustive' inquiries to get an answer implies it is not clear cut and you have probably been fobbed off. Now try to get someone to prosecute it. You might try to read the Privacy ActS carefully and the very few published cases to learn that Family Law proceeding are treated differently.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.

Recent Tweets